Sunday, February 6, 2011

Not Talking...So Much Fun

    I am very proud to say that I did not talk this past Friday the entire day.  It was very difficult and frustrating.  I am pretty positive that I will never do that again, and I would definitely never do that voluntarily.  The most awkward and difficult part of the day was lunch.  Because the whole point of lunch is to eat and talk about your day, and when you take away the talking part you just sit there and stare at each other.  It was extremely awkward especially for the one person at our lunch table that was able to talk and had to translate everything we said.  It was extremely weird because people would walk by and give us all weird looks because no one was talking; they must have thought we hated each other.  It was not only a difficult experience for me but for everyone around me who was trying to understand what I was attempting to say.  I would never do this again because it was extremely boring.  I was very excited when the bell rang at 2:30 and I could finally talk.  Through this experience I realized how important talking is in order to have a good relationship.  And in Postman's Amusing Ourselves To Death he is trying to get that point across exactly.  That people are losing communication skills when they take away face to face communication.  Soon people will not be able to talk to others because they won't know how to react.  I think Postman is dead on in this accusation and I think that it is only going to get worse.

No comments:

Post a Comment